Email: [email protected]
Charles H. Rabon, Jr. (Chet Rabon), was born in Camden, South Carolina and raised in Columbia, South Carolina. He graduated Furman University, in Greenville, South Carolina, with a B.A. degree in Political Science and minor in History. Following graduation, Chet worked at Copper Mountain resort in Colorado and traveled extensively abroad. Chet then entered law school at Vanderbilt University, graduating with honors in 1989. While in law school, Chet was on Law Review, interned with the Chief U.S. District Court Judge, and won awards for highest marks in several classes.
Following graduation, Chet served as a law clerk to the Hon. Emmett R. Cox, of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit. Chet then worked as a trial attorney for a large national law firm for several years, mostly representing large businesses. Between 1999 and 2011, Chet practiced as a litigation partner in two smaller firms in Charlotte where his trial practice focused on representing smaller businesses and individuals.
In 2012, Chet started the Rabon Law Firm, PLLC, which now primarily focuses on federal and state False Claims Act (FCA) and other whistleblower and fraud cases, also handling business and commercial litigation, serious personal injury and wrongful death claims, and employment and discrimination cases. In 2021, Chet joined forces with his long-time colleague in Houston, Sarah Frazier, to form the law firm Rabon Frazier, LLP, which concentrates on False Claims Act cases and related fraud matters representing whistleblowers coast-to-coast and around the world.
During his career, Chet has represented a variety of clients as trial and appellate counsel in numerous significant matters, including, to highlight a few examples:
- Representing federal whistleblowers in dozens of cases filed throughout the United States. At last count, these include cases filed in 21 (of 94) federal district courts sitting in 13 states and the District of Columbia. Our firm has a relatively high rate of federal intervention in its FCA cases and, all totaled, our intervened and litigated cases have recovered in excess of $2 billion in monies fraudulently stolen from taxpayers.
- Representing individuals in employment cases, including federal retaliation claims, that have collectively recovered several million dollars in compensation for those clients.
- Representing a business in an Unfair and Deceptive Business Practices Claim, tried before a jury for four straight months, which resulted $13.25 million judgment in favor of our client.
- Representing dozens of clients in numerous catastrophic personal injury claims and wrongful death claims, including cases that resulted in seven-figure and eight-figure verdicts and settlements.
In addition to these types of matters, Chet's past experience includes all manner of Commercial Litigation, Small Business Counseling, Intellectual Property Litigation (copyrights and trademarks), Eminent Domain and Zoning issues, Major Personal Injury and Wrongful Death claims, Premises Liability, Tractor-Trailer Crashes, and Class Action litigation. Chet and his firm continue to handle a limited number of representations in these areas even as the firm primarily focuses on federal False Claims Act and fraud cases. Chet has maintained Martindale Hubbell's highest “AV” rating much of his career (highest rating for legal ability and ethics, as polled by attorneys and judges), and has been named to “Legal Elite” and “Super Lawyers.”
In the False Claims Act arena, our firm has a stellar national reputation among the elite qui tam bar, and frequently collaborates with firms all around the United States working on these complex and challenging cases.
Professional Affiliations and Memberships
- Taxpayers Against Fraud
- American Association for Justice
- Federal Bar Association (Sustaining Member)
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association (Past Board Member)
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice (Past Board Member)
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Southern Trial Lawyers Association (Board Member)
- Western Trial Lawyers Association
- The Melvin M. Belli Society
- U.S. Supreme Court
- All North Carolina state trial and appellate courts
- U.S. Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. Western District of North Carolina
- U.S. Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- Approximately 15 other federal districts by pro hac vice admission
Representative Speaking & Publications
- 2014 ABA National Health Care Fraud Institute, “Ethical Challenges in a Whistleblower Case,” San Francisco
- 2015 ABA False Claims Act Trial Institute, FCA Plaintiff's Trial Team, Direct Examination of Plaintiff, Washington, D.C.
- 2015 Southern Trial Lawyers, “Things You Need to Know About the False Claims Act,” New Orleans
- 2016 Western Trial Lawyers, “Bringing a Successful False Claims Act Case,” Maui
- 2016 Federal Bar Association, Litigation Section Qui Tam Conference, “Fundamentals and Developments,” Washington, D.C.
- 2017 ABA False Claims Act Trial Institute, Plaintiff's Trial Team, Presentation of Plaintiff's Expert Witness, Washington, D.C.
- 2017 AAJ Annual Meeting, “False Claims Act 101: Its Purpose, How It Works in Practice, and Pitfalls to Avoid,” Boston
- 2017 Federal Bar Association Seminar, “Current Trends in False Claims Act/Qui Tam Whistleblower Litigation, FCA/Qui Tam Suits: Plaintiff's Perspective,” Charleston, SC
- 2017 Taxpayers Against Fraud, Annual Seminar, “SBA Set Aside Fraud and the FCA,” Washington, D.C.
- 2018 Taxpayers Against Fraud, Annual Seminar “Ready, Aim, FOIA: A Targeted Approach to the Use of FOIA and Other Public Records Requests,” Washington, D.C.
- 2019 ABA False Claims Act Trial Institute, Plaintiff's Trial Team, Presentation of Plaintiff's Opening Statement, New York
“A Few Things You Should Know About the False Claims Act,” JUSTLAW, Newsletter of the STLA, Fall 2013, https://southerntriallawyers.org/docs/3rdQuarter-2013.pdf
- Furman University, Greenville, SC, B.A. 1984 in Political Science, with minor in History. Dean's List, Phi Delta Phi legal honor society.
- Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, J.D. 1989. Order of the Coif, Vanderbilt Law Review (editor), American Jurisprudence prize in Federal Evidence, Legal Ethics, and Negotiations.